Friday, April 12, 2019

Florilegium: In the Province of the Gods

The memoir In the Province of the Gods is the third by a writer I really admire, Kenny Fries, who was one of my advisors in the Goddard College MFA program. His prose is very contemplative, honest, and imagistic so it really lends itself to creating found poetry!


I am becoming someone 

I do not want to be.

The coin at the bottom 
could be my soul,
both kitsch and masterpiece. 

I want to help others imagine different lives 
than what is prescribed. 

The bridge completes itself in its watered reflection. 
As if it were possible, I want to turn back. 

Living life in a mortal world
leaves a remnant, a memory 
poised to fly away. 

Those who survive cling to whatever hope we may find 
even on this overcast day.

The irises startle.
I don't know which one is my boat.  
 
Hardcover book and daffodils
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment